Why I Write

Tuesday, 8 July 2014

You may have seen this blog hop going around. It's about writing but I've also seen a version about creating in general. Are they two different blog hops or the same one which has got changed in the Chinese whispers way these thing get around? I don't know.

Sarah at Mitenska invited me to join in and I was happy to say yes. You can and should read her post here.

Assuming the writing in question is this blog and not my shopping list here are my answers.

What am I working on?
I'm working on this blog. It's an ongoing work in progress with no deadlines. At the moment it is going through a period of high productivity but who knows whether that will continue. 

How does my writing differ from others in my genre?
I reject genre. My blog is an eclectic mix of home economy, recipes, seasonal observations, teenagers, books, yarn, quinces and whatever the hell I like.

Why do I write what I do?
Three reasons
1) Connecting
There's a line in the film Shadowlands* 'we read to know we're not alone'; I write this blog to know I'm not alone.Through writing this blog I have made real friends, ones I actually meet and talk to in Real Life, but also I have made many friends who I haven't met but who I feel I know well through their blogs and their comments.

2) Sharing
As an ex-teacher I have to admit there is an element of teaching involved in what I write about. I do feel very strongly that feeding a family real food is much easier than the media would have you believe and I aim to get that across in my food and kitchen related posts.

3) Creating
I've said elsewhere on this blog that I get a buzz out of actually creating a post, not just the words but the whole thing.

How does my writing process work?
My little blog break in May gave me time to think quite seriously about how to plan for more regular blog posts and how to avoid running out of ideas. After a few false starts I came up with a blog planning notebook which works well for me. It relies heavily on post-it notes, because post-it notes rock.




Everytime I think of a subject for a blog post I write it on a post-it note and post it in my notebook. At the front of the book I have a double page headed  'this month', at the beginning of the month I stick in all the regular posts I do like my sampler post, book of the month, Just Now I Am... and In My Kitchen posts. Regular posts such as these are useful because they take the 'ohmygodwhatshallIblogabout? pressure away. If you have four such posts then that's one a week for a month. Next I look at all my ideas post-its and move ones I think will be suitable for the month ahead onto my 'this month' page. Any ideas I don't manage to turn into posts get moved back to the ideas section of my notebook for another time. You can of course just write ideas down in a book. Me, I like post-its.





This post is unusual for me in that the words came first, nine times out of ten the pictures come first. I don't write posts in my head, the words come as I'm writing. I delete, rewrite and edit continually as I write and often after I have published as well. My favourite bit is when I hit the publish button -always with a slight flutter in my stomach.


*

Now I am supposed to pass this blog hop on to three more bloggers. Being a bit of a rebel I'm not going to do that, instead if you would like to join in and answer the four questions above about why you write/create on your blog then just declare your intentions in the comments. Come back when you have written your post and leave a comment with a link and I'll add it below.

Isabelle at Notes From Delft
Annie at Suffolk Pebbles
Jessica at Rusty Duck

* Shadowlands -film about CS Lewis and his marriage to Joy Gresham, in which Anthony Hopkins is excellent.


”pinterest” ”instagram” ”email ”follow

31 comments:

  1. I think you've hit the nail on the head with why I write for my blog. Both connecting with people and a sense of satisfaction as each post goes out into the world. For me, the words come first and I'll often write a post with placeholders for photos I want to take. I joint blog with my husband and he's the opposite - he takes photos and thinks about what to say, and I love that both ways work.

    (I think I've only lurked before, so Hi!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's why I love you, Sue: you're a bit of a maverick. I would love to join the blog hop, so in the words of Arnold Schwarzennegger: I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so flippin' organised Mrs Quince. I am in awe. And I love your rainbow post its.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it is nice to have a little structure in one's blog. I loved the 52 weeks of happy series, and I enjoyed my own weekly fledgling garden post. The rest of the time I may jot down ideas. Often I have ideas for a post on my walks. I'm new to your blog, but enjoy it very much. I'm still thinking about that layered salad...
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I am not sure which I am more envious of - your degree of organisation or your snazzy rainbow of post its. Having boldly announced my intention to blog more, I seem to be mute again. Dang.

    And Shadowlands was one of my favourite films ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get yourself some post-its and get a move on.

      Delete
  6. I've seen this blog hop popping up over the last couple of weeks and wondering about having a go. I think it's time I did.
    Love your post it note idea. I do need to get more organised about blogging especially planning ahead, it would take so much angst out of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe it's one and the same blog hop, Sue, it just depends on how it was "passed on" to you. It was described to me as a "why I write/create" blog hop, and I chose to go with create. I too have a blogging notebook, where vague plans and ideas are jotted down. It's very helpful. I think.

    I really enjoyed reading your responses - you are beautifully succinct and direct in your writing and I think there is as little waste in your language as there is in your kitchen. I also really enjoyed your rainbowy photos. You made those post-its look awfully pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting observation about waste in writing and in the kitchen -I hadn't thought of it like that. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I've not long cracked open a brand new notepad which I am calling 'my blog'. Problem is, I haven't gotten further than sitting and staring at the blank pages and wondering how on earth to organise it. You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, here I am again. I was lucky enough to have a free afternoon and as I mentioned earlier, would love to join the blog hop. Thank you very, very much, Sue. Here is my contribution:

    http://notesfromdelft.blogspot.nl/2014/07/why-i-write-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for agreeing to join in, Sue. I really enjoyed this post and now want to buy post-it notes...

    I completely agree with the whole media-peddled notion that healthy home cooking is something in which only the trendy middle classes can afford to indulge. Resourcefulness, creativity and a bit of clever shopping are all that's needed. Anyway, that's a whole other post...

    I like the way you've dealt with the 'passing it on' part of the blog hop. Rebel indeed :)

    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sue this is a super interesting post, it had honestly never occurred to me to actually plan my blog posts, and yet it does make sense in many ways. I might just try that!
    I've been doing some blog mentoring recently as part of the Deramores blog awards and have been thinking a lot abut blogging as I've been answering questions and advising new bloggers...thinking about the reasons behind doing it, the techniques and tactics, the successes of it....interesting to actually think about these things every once in a while when mostly I give it no thought whatsoever.
    Thanks for your insight!
    Lucexd

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever your reasons for writing, I'm glad you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a lovely post, Sue - so inspiring that, like Isabelle, I too decided to respond to your call to join the blog hop! Here is my post -
    http://www.suffolkpebbles.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/why-i-write-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a good idea with the post it's, was very interesting reading

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm never so tempted and inspired to start blogging as when I read a new post (or revisit old ones) on here. But then I talk myself out of it. It would be just like this one, but not as good. Is this post sponsored by 3M :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, no sponsoring, but if 3M would like to send me a lifetime's supply of post-its that'd be great!

      When I started this blog I was very influenced by a particular blog, well maybe inspired is a better word, and I felt my early posts were a bit copycat-ish. It didn't take long for the real me to assert herself though and I'm sure if you were to start a blog you'd soon find your own voice.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks!

      Delete
  16. Love your colourful post it notes, love your writing, love that you do things however you damn well please. Oh, and I loved Shadowlands. (However I hate the way your blog now makes me write things twice before it will take it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Kari, does it really? I have no idea why that is happening. There isn't anything I can do my end I'm afraid. I thought I had made it as easy as possible for people to comment -no word verification or accounts needed. I can only apologise to you and to anyone else it's happening to. All I can suggest is that you copy your comment the first time so that it's ready to paste in the box if it plays up. Thank you for your lovely words though x

      Delete
    2. I just think your blog and my computer are basically incompatible. I don't have trouble with anyone else's blog (not that I comment much on others). But I'm not ready for a divorce yet. Maybe they just need couple's counselling.

      Delete
  17. You are not alone. There are people (like myself) who always read and care and enjoy your writings but do not feel the need to comment. Keep on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lemon, I appreciate your support.

      Delete
  18. Hello, I don't always comment but, a great post.....I love your kitchen posts, I hate waste and cook from scratch too...made no churn ice cream tonight and have a sourdough loaf proving to bake tomorrow...people need to cook themselves more, it is much healthier and cheaper and enjoyable...well I think so anyway :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've enjoyed reading your post Sue, and I love the Post-It note idea and the regular posts that take off the WhatshallIblogabout pressure. I'm taking notes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK, I'll admit you had me slapping my forehead, thinking 'why didn't I think of that' with the Post-it suggestion - brilliant. I've seen a few of the Why I Write posts about the place and am surprisingly captivated. Who knows, I might put that on a Post-it, but don't hold your breath - things are the usual late summer term madness around here - but at least now I could plan it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such an interesting you and inspiring post, and I love the idea for planning posts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here you go:
    http://www.rustyduck.net/2014/07/11/why-i-write/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your mini Post Its, as I also occasionally plan my posts in my notebook, especially when I want to do a 'series' of tips or such like I think I'll have to invest in some ....... any excuse to go into a stationery shop ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger